Sunday, October 08, 2006

Am I too late? socktoberfest meme

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
Primarily self taught. I had been collecting double pointed needles for a long time because I knew I wanted to learn to knit, so whenever I'd see them in my favorite break-time thrift store, I'd buy them all (and whatever yarn I'd find). Then about a year ago, I read A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber and thought I'd try the pattern in there. All was fine and dandy until I got to the heel flap. Fortunately, my LYS clerk was extremely patient and helped me get through. Those socks...

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
...were my first pair. I wrapped them all pretty and gave them to my mother for Christmas. She *loves* them and will show them to anyone who she thinks might be interested. They seem to be doing well. She has two pairs currently in rotation. (It's a good bet she'll be getting another pair for this Christmas).

What would you have done differently?
I'm trying to switch to toe up socks so that I can knit and knit and knit until I run out of yarn. Mom especially likes a longer sock.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Lorna's Lace sportweight. Cherry Tree Hill. Mountain Colours.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
Hmm..I'm all interested in the idea of crocheting socks now that I see that in the question...will have to search for some patterns. I did *love* the granny square topped socks I saw somewhere...though I heard they are top heavy, which makes sense, so not sure I'll try those. I do like knitting with DPNs. Haven't tried 2 circulars (why on earth would I *purposefully* buy two of the *same* tool? when I could spend that money on more sock yarn). I am completely enthralled with Magic Loop, and am looking forward to blocking my first socks to see if the loop trail disappears a little.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
flap. it seems much sturdier. though I suppose short-row heel is fine for clogs.

How many pairs have you made?
I'm on my sixth pair (the Magic Loop pictured).

No comments: