Wednesday, June 27, 2007

let it shine!

just returned from the best event. so inspiring and uplifting and a much needed breath of fresh air. the website is a little slow right now because their are so many hits - because of the media coverage, all the mentions at church and links from church websites. the video links


I tried using the movie mode of my camera to capture how packed the place was for Barack Obama. It didn't work. I'm certain there are YouTube videos out there though - I'll have to check into that and update if I find a good one.

A better speech, in my opinion - Bill Moyers keynote. I am so thrilled that there is still an honest journalist on the air! I pledge to public television and public radio primarily because of how honest and faithful Bill Moyers is. So it was wonderful to see so many come to see and hear him. His words continue to inspire me. One of my favorite bits (as printed in United Church News; GS26; June 24, 2007): "I have come to say that America's revolutionary spirit - 'life, liberty and the pursuit of justice, through goverment of, by, and for the people' - is under siege. And if churches of conscience don't take the lead in their rescue and revival, we can lose our democracy!"

Moyers concluded with an altar call. "Poverty and justice are religious issues," he said. He reminded listeners of Jesus overturning the tables in the temple and throwing the rascals out. "Let's call that Jesus back to duty, and drive the money changers from the temple of democracy," he said. "If you don't, who will?"

No comments: