Friday, December 08, 2006
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Egg nog – thinned with skim milk, in a latte.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa prides herself on beautifully wrapped gifts
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Clear, though, I have been drawn to the retro look, so maybe at this next after Christmas sale…
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No, kisses given freely year round here.
5. When do you put your decorations up? First snow/chill, we start sometime in November usually.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Eggs benedict Christmas morning
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Hard to pick. I’ll go with the year I had stopped believing in Santa and then we got bikes – and being the sexist kids that we were, we didn’t believe mom could have put them together by herself (dad was stuck out on the oil rig that year and didn’t make it home for Christmas), learned a lot about the stupidity of gender roles that year.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don’t remember how I learned it, probably playground talk
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No, we tried it one year and didn’t like it, went back to the early morning fun and chaos, my middle brother notoriously got us all up by 5 am; at which point we were allowed to open our Christmas stockings *only* until our parents got up (usually within the hour).
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? *lots* of clear lights, special family decorations, a few new handcrafted ones each year, a very general red theme
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Miss it a great deal, though I do not miss commuting in it.
12. Can you ice skate? Yes. (lived in Alaska for a number of years, ice skating – and cross country skiing -- was part of the physical education curriculum).
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Yes, I remember and very much appreciate them all.
14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? The love, the community that intensifies at this time of the year, decorations, celebrations, advent, children plays, thinking of loved ones as making gifts, family newsletters/photos, mixed CDs, cookie exchanges, potluck events, caroling, the smells of evergreen, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, mint….
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Christmas cookie exchange
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? New one this year…reading advent series by the advent wreath each night.
17. What tops your tree? Lights
18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? I *love* seeing that look in the eyes of the recipient when you just gave them the best gift! (especially if it was handcrafted)
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Jingle bells, sung by the kids (really any Christmas song kids sing, especially when it's just spontaneous); O Come, O Come, Emmanuel; O Little Town of Bethlehem; so many!
20. Candy Canes... Yuck or Yum? Love the traditional! The simplicity, the grace, the flavour.